Monday, July 20, 2009

Randomness & Ramblings

*Saturday Ashley & I tried our hand at home-made granola. Oh my goodness...it was so yummy! I told her next time we need to make a double batch. It was gone by yesterday afternoon. Here's the recipe if anyone wants to give it a try.

2c. old-fashioned rolled oats
1c. slivered almonds
1/2c. honey
1 Tbs. butter
1/2c. raisins
1 Tbs. light brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. almond or vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8-or 9-inch baking pan & line with parchment. Lightly grease parchment & set aside. (We didn't use parchment)

Place oats & almonds on a lrg. baking sheet & bake, stirring occassionally, for 15 mins. Remove from oven & reduce temp. to 300 degrees.

While the oats & almonds are toasting, combine honey & butter in a small saucepan & heat until butter is melted & honey is hot.

When oats come out of oven, transfer to a large bowl & add hot honey, raisins, brown sugar, salt & almond/vanilla extract & stir to thoroughly combine. Transfer mixture to baking pan.

Using your hands, press the granola mixture very firmly into the pan. Bake granola for 20 mins. or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Remove from oven & set aside to cool completely. Remove from pan by pulling up the edges of parchment. (I just flipped it out onto a plate) Using a sharp knife, cut into 10 even bars. (We just broke ours) Store in zip loc bag......it won't last long. LOL



**Yesterday in church Jerry Martin preached on John 10:10 & having the 'Abundant Life'. He used Michael Jackson as an example. According to the world's standards he had 'abundant life'......wealth, fame,etc.....but in all truth he was a sad & lonely man. Stuff does not make us happy or give us this abundant life. It comes through a relationship with Jesus Christ & being content & at peace through him. I thought about that yesterday afternoon as I sat outside under my favorite Dogwood tree, in my favorite green chair just soaking in the late afternoon.....quiet voices of my kids at play, the neighbor's horses, birds twittering around, bees buzzing, a kitty curled up beside me snoozing, a good book to read.......Aaaaaahhhh......THIS is an abundant life. John 10:10 says, '....I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly(in it's fullest measure!)'



***I've shared quotes & excerpts from some of my favorite books before & I just needed to share this little tid-bit from 'The Love Dare'.....the companion book to the movie 'Fireproof'. This day was centering on showing honor which means to give respect & high esteem. The word honor comes from a word that forms the basis for honor....the word is HOLY. Holiness means being set apart for a higher purpose. Love honors even when it's rejected. Love treats its beloved as special & sacred even when an ungrateful attitude is all you get in return. Even when your attempts at honor go unreciprocated, you are to give honor just the same. That's what love dares to do--- to say, "Of all the relationships I have, I will value ours the most. Of all the things I am willing to sacrifice, I will sacrifice the most for you. With all your failures, sins, mistakes & faults--past & present-- I still choose to love & honor you." That's how you create an atmosphere for love to be rekindled. That's how you LEAD your heart to truly love your mate again. And that's the beauty of honor.

Mark 10:9- 'What therefore God hath joined together, let no man put assunder.'

1 comment:

Wanda said...

awesome! The granola sounds GREAT - I adore granola with my yogurt. And I picked up and then put down The Love Dare book the other day. Might have to pick it back up.