Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What we did today...


We learned about the Mayflower & her crew. Ship's Master was Christopher Jones-his job was to direct the course of the ship & command all the sailors & crew. There were also Pilots & Master's Mates. The kid's particular favorite was the Cooper-his duty was to build, repair & maintain the ship's barrels. This was a very important job because barrles held the food & drink that the passengers & crew needed to survive. Other crew members were the Master Gunner,carpenter,boatswain, quartermasters, cook, swabber,etc. I found a project in one of my library books (Colonial Kids-an activity guide to life in the new world) by-Laurie Carlson for building a model ship like the Mayflower, so I think that's what we will try & do tomorrow. I also happened upon some cute Halloween bookmarks to make.....so I printed those off & Alli colored one for each kid coming to our Halloween party. I then cut them out & glued each to a piece of cardstock & added a bit of glitter glue & yarn. These will go in the treat bags we fix for the party on Tues.

1 comment:

Fatcat said...

Those bookmarks are really cute!