Wednesday, June 18, 2008

101 Year Old Pastry

Gonna make you read through my happenings of the day before you get to the recipe. (insert evil devil smiley here) Nothing exciting going on or anything.....actually quite the opposite. I have been SO TIRED & dragging today! Don't know what my problem is. I've gone to bed at 10:30pm the past two nights...but anyway. Chris is STILL training this whole week now & won't start 2nd til NEXT Thurs. So that means TWO more EARLY mornings for us around here, but we WILL get through it. Like my friend Missi told me.....it's not in MY strength, but God's. Phil. 4:13 says, 'I can do all things through christ who STRENGTHENS me!' Just praying for strength for the next two days.....especially for Chris. I KNOW he's tired out & sore & learning a new job.....it's all tough, but he'll be stronger for it in the end.

Like I said....no energy today....just totally lazy feeling. I did fold about 4 baskets of clothes this morning & got them all put away. Washed the sheets off three beds & did another washer load of laundry. Supper was simple........Manwiches,corn, slaw & french fries. In the in between times I sat out under the dogwood tree & read while Michael & Alli played in the pool for about an hour & a half this afternoon. Clay & the kids worked out in the garden alot this afternoon & evening. Jon has mastered the art of tilling & he loves it. That Jon is a real go-getter! Michael & Alli toted water & helped fertilize too.

So, now what you've been waiting for.........
Mema's Pastry Recipe

2 1/2 c. plain flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. shortening
1 egg
1 Tbs. vinegar
cold water

Blend shortening into flour & salt. Beat egg in one cup measure. Add vinegar to egg & fill remainder of cup with cold water. (I add an ice cube to keep egg mix cold) Add 4-5 Tbs. liquid to 1/2 pastry mix. Handle dough as little as possible. Mix liquid in with fork. Roll pastry out on floured surface.

2 comments:

Babydoll said...

I hope you get some rest. :)

Sandee said...

Okay...this is just what I've been waiting for.
I've got some tayberries ready for a crust.....I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Thanks, sweetie!