Saturday, January 07, 2012

Liquid Hand Soap

I felt a little like Granny Clampett today.....making her lye soap. Only I didn't make lye soap....I made my very own liquid hand soap. I was so excited!! It was SO easy to do & VERY cost-effective. I happened upon the idea/recipe on Pinterest......thought I'd share it here with all my bloggy friends.
The recipe:
8 oz. bar of soap
2 Tbs. glycerin
1 gallon of water
I just picked up two bars of this oatmeal & almond soap at Walmart for .97 each. These were 4oz. bars of soap, so I grated up two of them. I set the pot of water on to boil while I did the grating. Once the water boils....remove from the heat & add in the soap shavings & glycerin. Stir to dissolve.
This is what it looks like when the soap is dissolved. After it dissolves....let it sit for about 10-12 hours to thicken. It will begin to set up after just a few hours.
This is what it looked like later on this evening. I'm not sure exactly how long I let mine sit.....definitely not the whole 12 hours, but I just wanted to go ahead & get the kitchen all cleaned up & it seemed a good consistency to me, so I ladled it into my clean milk jug.
Voila....my first ever attempt at making liquid hand soap.

As far as the particulars go, like I mentioned above, I paid $1.94 for the soap (.97 each) & $2.98 for the glycerin.....which I will use MANY more times in the future. I forget right off hand how many oz. were in the glycerin bottle, but it's safe to say that for UNDER $3 I have a gallon of liquid hand soap. They also said this can be done for Body Wash too. Maw was telling me that she had seen other specialty scented soaps at TJ Maxx & Big Lots & would pick some up so we can do other scents too. I'm just SO excited.....can you tell how little it takes to get me excited? LOL! I'm thinking cute little gifts for the coming year. ;-)

No comments: